[LinuxPPS] PPS/ntpd fails on fresh startup

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Tue Oct 14 23:13:23 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:00:38PM -0500, William S. Brasher wrote:

> /proc/interrupts shows interrupts are coming in.
>
> cat < /dev/ttyS0 returns the NMEA sentence at once per second.

Everything happens while the PPS source is enabled? If so you should
see the PPS events (see /sys/class/pps/ppsX/{assert,clear}).

> Hmmmm.  I let ntpd configure the serial port after starting ppsldisc,
> which seems to squash the pps input.
>
> Since I can receive the NMEA sentence from the port, and can in fact send
> serial data to the clock through the port, I assumed the port to be
> minimally configured.  Which says nothing about what ntpd may do to that
> port when it starts...
>

> SO:  If I start ntpd in the startup script before I start ppsldisc,
> everything works.   That is, I inserted the ntpd -gqx into the following
> script:
>
> case "$1" in
>         start)
>                 boot_mesg "Starting ntpd..."
>                 /bin/setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 low_latency
>                 sleep 2
>                 ntpd -gqx
>                 sleep 2
>                 /usr/bin/ppsldisc /dev/ttyS0 &
>                 sleep 2
>                 loadproc /usr/sbin/ntpd -g
>                 sleep 2
>                 killall ppsldisc
>                 ;;

I'm puzzled! O_o

Luca, can you please test this settings too?

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti