[LinuxPPS] still some offset and jitter though using pps

Nicola Berndt nb at komeda-berlin.de
Fri Oct 17 13:52:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

I (finally!) sucessfully got linux-pps to work together with ntpd. Very
good so far!

Now I have some issues, I'd like to solve:

I have a u-blox EVK-5T evaluation kit
(http://www.u-blox.com/products/supportproducts_ublox5.html) wich
outputs a pps-signal via rs232 ack as well as standard nmea via usb.
Both are seen and read by ntpd.
When I start up ntpd -g -X it synchronizes pretty quickly but leaves me
with some offset and jitter. The offset is in the 20 ms range and the
jitter varies from 0.2 - 1.5 ms.

Given the pps-timesource I don't understand the offset. Why doesn't ntpd
correct this error when setting the time for the first time (I ran -g
and -X)? I can see it getting smaller and again bigger wich is very
confusing.

My goal is to build a box that has accurate time in the least possible
time after startup, because we will use it to slave a couple of devices
built into an airplane. For that reason there is no way for us to run a
24/7 server, since we fly on demand and not regularly.

With best regards,
../nico berndt