[LinuxPPS] Confused about timex.h

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Sep 17 23:14:54 CEST 2008

Let me say that I am still confused about the timex.h situation.

To make things work with ntp, it appears that you have to copy
the <>/include/linux/timex.h from the kernel sources to
/usr/include/sys/timex.h in userland, and then go in and comment
out the line "#include <linux/time.h" from that copy.  I have no
idea if ANYTHING in userland ever useses /usr/include/linux/timex.h.

Its still not clear to me how the ntp configuration program finds
everything it needs to set KERNEL_PLL to true, but it does,
and this allows the STA_NANO stuff to compile.

Along these same lines, I have  no idea who put the ntp stuff
into the Linux kernel (some time ago) but its barely recognizable
to me.  I went in to try to compare it with Mills latest nanokernel
but soon gave up.  There are definitely some things that need
fixing there, but since I can't recognize the code, it would be hard
to point to anything that actually needed fixing (other than the
fact that separate time constants are needed for each Hz= in
the kernel.- only Hz=100 constants are CLOSE, and I think they
are off).

Mumph.
--
                                        Reg.Clemens