[LinuxPPS] Using LinuxPPS for Event Counting

Thiago Tiedtke tiedtke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 03:57:17 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,

I´m using the LinuxPPS with ntp to adjust a pc clock, using the DCD pin to
catch the PPS signal from gps, and NMEA messages from a GPS Novatel DL4
...and this is task is ok, my question is:

I can use the LinuxPPS to "poll" other type of events, e.g., a interruptor,
or a photodiode ??

By fact, i'm doing these tests, "catching" events with 1/1000s of
duration...but without the regularity from signal PPS (e.g. at each 1 sec
+/- 20ns) from a GPS device....

This can be applied? What the "quality" of timestamp of each event?

Thanks for any help

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis