[LinuxPPS] Using LinuxPPS for Event Counting

Thiago Tiedtke tiedtke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:52:54 CEST 2008

Thanks all for the answers...

Realy, in some tests, i notice that the CPU load affect the dispatch time of
interrupts...but the LinuxPPS yet is a god choice im my experiments....with
more time, i go engage more time i'm tests with RTAI (Real Time Linux
Application)...

Yesterday, in a experiment, i try to use the ppsldisc in the follow
configuration:

 - MB Via Epia 600MHz itx, 512 Mb RAM, two serial ports;
- Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.27-rc3)   LinuxPPS (ntp-pps-2.6.27-rc3-bis.diff);
- GPS Novatel L1/L2 with PPS output: 1sec  /- 20ns;

Serial Port 1 (/dev/ttyS0):

- Receive the NMEA sentences and the pulse PPS from GPS (pin DCD);
- NTP with driver 20 (nmea.patch)
- After 15 minutes the estimated error is < 1 milisec

After the stabilization of clock, i'm activate ppsldic in the serial port 2
(/dev/ttyS1), whit the intention to use with other interrup source:

/usr/local/bin/ppsldisc /dev/ttyS1 &

But, checking the status of synchronization with ntpq -p, the signal PPS is
not more detected, and aparently the serial port /dev/ttyS0 stopped...no
more nmea setences, neither signal PPS...  :(

What is Wrong?? What is my mistake??

Thanks for any tips

Thiago Tiedtke dos Reis