[LinuxPPS] kernel 2.6.32 - ntpd-4.2.6 linuxpps experiences

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Dec 14 00:34:30 CET 2009

> Hello all,
>
> Having been an early LinuxPPS adaptor, it has been quiet for a while from this
> side.
>
> Today I decided to upgrade my kernel from 2.6.27.6 to 2.6.32 and had to figure
> out 'how on earth did I manage(d) to get LinuxPPS running after a kernel
> upgrade?'.
>
> After downloading kernel 2.6.32, I applied the ntp-pps-v2.6.32-rc8.diff patch,
> compiled the kernel, and rebooted.

<snip>

> I discovered that the NANO option in timex.h is inserted as of kernel 2.6.30.
> However, for whatever reason with this timex.h ntpd failed to compile. So I
> used the 'old' timex.h nano patch from the mid 2008s instead, which worked.

Yes the NANO defines FOR THE KERNEL are in the kernel version of timex.h
but these are STA_NANO and ADJ_NANO, ntpd needs MOD_NANO, and this is
*not* in the kernel version of this timex.h .

> I used ntpd-4.2.5-p113 and after starting the freshly compiled ntpd I could
> not find my Oncore (driver 30) in the peers list (ntpq -p).

Not sure why, but that version is over a year old.
The ONCORE driver really hasnt had any changes.

> Having more things to do today than being busy with LinuxPPS I downloaded the
> latest stable ntp version (4.2.6) and compiled it.
>
> With this version GPS_ONCORE(0) appeared in the peers list, but no
> synchronization could be detected.

Again, I dont understand this.
I have been running with the 2.6.32 since it was released, and with various
of the prerelease versions of ntp with no problems.

> Knowing that I had PPS stamps, I tried the ATOM driver (driver 22), and used a
> preferred time source from my local network. After a while ntpd-4.2.6 synced
> to my PPS signal ... WITH the ppsfreq, and ppstime bits set (!).
>
> remco at helium > ntpdc -c kern
> pll offset:           -6.82e-07 s
> pll frequency:        17.942 ppm
> maximum error:        0.007736 s
> estimated error:      0 s
> status:               2007  pll ppsfreq ppstime nano
> pll time constant:    4
> precision:            1e-09 s
> frequency tolerance:  500 ppm
>
> remco at helium > ntpq -p
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> oPPS(0)          .PPS.            0 l   13   16  377    0.000   -0.001   0.002
> *freebsd         .GPS.            1 u   63   64  377    0.211    0.000   0.012
> +lithium         .DCFa.           1 u   42   64  377    0.157   -0.655   0.110
> +ptbtime1.ptb.de .PTB.            1 u   46   64  377   49.874    0.244   0.198
>
> The stability seems to be better than with the 2001 status (pll , nano) but I
> wonder why the Oncore driver fails to work.

Beats me, you are using the current kernel and a current version of ntpd,
which is the same as Im running.  Everything should 'just work'.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com