[LinuxPPS] kernel 2.6.32 - ntpd-4.2.6 linuxpps experiences

Luca Bertagnolio time at berta.com
Sat Dec 19 18:43:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 18:29,  <clemens at dwf.com> wrote:
> This behavior is not strange at all.
> Each driver sets its own desired combination of ASSERT/CLEAR.

great, Reg, thanks for clarifying this.  It makes sense, though my
limited knowledge of the matter does not allow me to understand the
subtle difference.  Why would the Oncore driver would kill the CLEAR?
It is a matter of IRQ load on the machine, or what else?

The fact that I was trying with the flag2 setting of the NMEA driver
also matches with the ASSERT becoming stuck in the second test.

Still, unfortunately, I was not able to make sense out of what was
coming out of the driver, as ntpd was giving me crazy offsets between
known and trusted stratum 1 servers and the output of either the Oncore
or the NMEA+PPS driver.

Weird how it took me very little time to figure out a working configuration
under FreeBSD...  I have now found a Soekris net4501 on eBay for
dirt cheap and will test it under NanoBSD.

Thanks, Luca