[LinuxPPS] The Lock problem and more

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Thu Feb 5 19:36:51 CET 2009

My previous two notes seem to imply that making the N_PPS device
from a N_TTY device after setting the tty speed does not work,
and causes the created pps device to hang.  Minimally, there is
a timing problem here.

So, let me get this off of my chest.

Ive always felt that the 'nameing' of the two devices in the
linuxPPS was just wrong.

We take a N_TTY device, change it to a N_PPS device, but do
everything possible to make it still look like a N_TTY device.

At the same time we make a new device that has no type at all.

It would seem more logical to me to leave the type of the original
device alone,- it was and still would be an N_TTY device.  We
could then make the PPS device a N_PPS device.

Somehow that seems a lot more logical, and might lead to the
fix of the problem with setting tty speed, since if we leave
that device a N_TTY, there should be no problem in setting
its speed.

                        Reg.Clemens
                        reg at dwf.com