[LinuxPPS] PPS next steps...

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Fri Feb 6 16:21:57 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:59:32AM -0500, George Spelvin wrote:
> > should be done via sysfs taking into account it specifications.
>
> Er... excuse me?  I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're talking about.

If you wish implementing something like that you should use sysfs
interface and not forcing read(2) semantic.

> Let me turn it around... what do you think "cat /dev/pps0" should do?

It, eventually, should return pps0 raw data as byte stream.

> Currently it returns -EINVAL.

Which not break read(2) semantic at all. :)

> I'd like it to print something that cound be fed into perl or gnuplot.

f you wish doing something like this, you can do a userland filter
which interprets PPS data and print out them into human readable form,
but you cannot ask the kernel to it for you since doing like this you
are implementing policies and not mechanism as old UNIX school
teach. :)

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti