[LinuxPPS] ntp no longer syncing to pps

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Thu Feb 12 15:35:04 CET 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Folkert van Heusden wrote:

> Suddenly, after a reboot, ntp does no longer sync to the pps-source.
> ppsldisc runs, ntpd has /dev/pps0 open, if I open /dev/ttyS1 (the one to
> which pps0 is coupled), I see the on-line toggling so the PPS signal
> comes in.
> What could be wrong?

I have had a somewhat similiar problem with starting NTP lately on
machines running linux 2.4 with Ulrich Windl's PPSkit and linux 2.6 with
LinuxPPS.  On boxes running each kernel I've had NTP seem to "hang" during
startup, so that I had to ssh in, kill the old NTP process and then
restart NTP inorder to get it to work.

I am running ntp version 4.2.4p4 or 4.2.4p6 on all these boxes with crypto
enabled; my SWAG is I am seeing a problem with the NTP daemon, perhaps
trying to resolve changing interfaces during the boot process.

Bill