[LinuxPPS] PPS stops working after a few seconds

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Mon Feb 16 16:22:59 CET 2009

Hi!

I lost my recent work on LinuxPPS stuff due to a hard disk failure (I
know, I know, ....).

Now I am back on track trying to get the LinuxPPS stuff working again.
I already build Folkerts ppsldisc version and tried to use it during my
system startup, but it looks like the PPS stuff hangs after a while. I
see that there is an entry in /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert but it does not
increase anymore. It gets stuck around #36 and never goes up afterwards,
no matter how often I kill ppsldisc and restart it.

The strange thing is that when I do not start ppsldisc during my system
init phase, login to the unit afterwards and manuall kill ntpd, start
ppsldisc and then restart ntpd, it seems to work.

My guess is that one of the other pieces of software that are running on
my machine are doing something with the serial port that sends the PPS
stuff into the bin.

Any ideas on what I could do besides starting this stuff manually?

Regards,
  Heiko