[LinuxPPS] PPS next steps...

George Spelvin linux at horizon.com
Thu Feb 19 18:09:31 CET 2009

Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at enneenne.com> wrote:
>> - Now that I've done it, what do you think of my read(2) output?
>>   What do you prefer?
>> - How about the other ideas I suggested in "PPS next steps..."?
>
> If you agree I prefere fix resolve basic functionalities and then,
> after kernel inclusion (and a bit of tests) discussing about new
> features.

Yes, but once we have kernel inclusion, the kernel/user interface
(the ioctl interface) becomes sacred and a lot harder to change,
because it is a specific goal that old compiled binaries will
keep running with new kernels.

Therefore, I want to get that interface correct.  Including the
format of data read(2) from /dev/pps0.