[LinuxPPS] ntptime status - relaunch of that issue

Felix Joussein felix.joussein at gmx.at
Tue Feb 24 11:52:23 CET 2009

Hello Michael,

I have checked that the current clock source is tsc and that 3 different
are available in total: tsc, acpi_pm and jiffies

I have changed them to see what happens:

tsc & acpi_pm show no differences...
jiffies let's the beeper beep permanently... as soon as the keyboard
produces a short beep (for ex. backspace on begin of line)... and after
setting jiffies you can't reset it to tsc (the echo tsc > /sys/.....) is
useless... not exewcuted, because a cat of the file still shows jiffies.

I also have compared the behavior  from my former 2.4 installation
mentioned in my posts before, and realized, that the ntpd would not even
start.
In dmesg I get: many lines "do_clock_gettime: negative time wrap on
CPU#0: -60751978ns (0,7646704)" and ntpd produces
"adjtimex: ntpd could be using obsolete ADJ_TICKADJ" and then stops
itself again.

The ppstest equivalent in 2.4 is ppsctl, the output is pretty similar to
ppstest, the jitter is bouncing from 640 to -32, -672, 704 per line.

when I try to run ntpd -d I get a lot debugging output, and at the end a
freezed screen. (So definitely this hardware s***ks, maybe I better turn
it into a DVR device!)

The current machines, running 2.4 kernel + PPSKit are Pentium III with
512MB Ram...

The Idea to use Pentium M's was to limit power usage.... the industrial
PC I'm using now has a Pentium M and 2 GB RAM is using 80W at most...
So: how about an Intel ATOM?
So, what would be the recommended hardware setup?

thank's for helping me!

regards,

Felix Joussein