[LinuxPPS] building ntpd for debian with nmea patch applied

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Jan 11 20:59:09 CET 2009

On Sunday 11 January 2009 09:34:28 Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> The method described at:
> http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_NTPD_support#Installation
> doesn't work. No pps device at all listed in the ntpq -c pe output.
>
> If you use this:
> CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
> -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/Documentation/pps -I /usr/include
> -DHAVE_PPSAPI" LDFLAGS=-lrt ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ntp
> --disable-all-clocks --disable-parse-clocks --enable-NMEA
> --enable-LOCAL-CLOCK
>
> It *does* work. Bonus is that you do NOT need to fiddle around with
> header-files as described here:
> http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_installation#Header_files

I agree that this section of the current docs are screwball.   What this
section should say is to make sure you have the correct header files for your
base kernel installed and to copy (or soft link) timepps.h to /usr/include and
pps.h to /usr/include/linux.  This is much simpler than what is in the current
docs and it also messes with your system a lot less.  At that point you don't
need the CFLAGS setting you used and it will just work.  This is the way I
handle it on my system.

> Then it is just a matter of:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/ppsldisc -d /dev/ttyS1 -v
> /usr/local/ntp/bin/ntpd -g
>
> (you might notice that the ppsldisc included in Rodolpho's doesn't
> accept the parameters as seen above, for that use the patch which can be
> found here: http://vanheusden.com/Linux/ppsldisc.patch.bz2 )

You may have missed it but it appears that the kernel folks want to do away
with ppsldisc either by including it's functionality in ldattach or by
reverting back to setserial.  No one is sure why or which approach they want
to now use.

see

and

Hal