[LinuxPPS] Linux 2.6.28 - serial time string jumps

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jan 20 18:46:33 CET 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 07:42:45 Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> > As far as I know:
> >
> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:08:08 +0100
> >
> > Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> Pre-emptibale stuff settings
> >
> > good

Yes I agree this seems to be good.  At the very least it is not harmful.

> >> HPET stuff
> >
> > bad

I have had good experiences with my HPET timer.  In my case the results were
clearly better than the acpi_pm timer.  But this could be dependent on the
specific hardware.  In most cases the HPET timer and other timers are using
the same quartz oscillator but other than the CPU counter timer (tsc timer)
the other timers will operate at lower frequencies and therefore have lower
resolution.  Most HPET timers are 10 MHz (this is the minimum allowed by the
HPET spec) or 25 MHz where as the acpi_pm timer is a little over 1 MHz.

In machines that have an invariant tsc timer it is probably best to use the
tsc timer.  Based on stuff I have seen on the ntp and time nuts mailing lists
if your tsc timer is not invariant then favor timers in this order if you have
them:

hpet
acpi_pm
jiffies
PIT

> ?
> More high res timers == bad?
> COuld you please explain?

I have high res timers enabled and other sources recommend this.

> >> NO_HZ stuff
> >
> > bad
>
> So far (2.6.28) I see no worse performance, but my reception isn't that
> good.
> (working on it)

I noticed a slight decrease in the stability of my clock with NO_HZ enabled.
But this could be dependent on other settings in the kernel configuration.
For example NO_HZ might do better with higher settings for HZ.  I only tested
with HZ=100.

> > And use 100 Hz!

With NO_HZ disabled I noticed decreased clock accuracy with HZ settings other
than 100 but again this might be dependent of the specific hardware in use or
perhaps other kernel config settings.

Hal