[LinuxPPS] Why is my ATOM clock a falseticker?

Paul Simons paul at thesimonet.org
Sat Jan 31 19:41:05 CET 2009

I choose the clear edge based on this quote from the wiki:

# "PPS pulses are usually short, and the leading edge is the on-time mark,
# so by looking at the time of two adjacent edges with cat /sys/class/pps/pps1/{assert,clear},
# you can see which one leads the other."

And, based on this diagnostic,:

PPS event on source 1 at 1233330678.493769677
capture clear seq #76087 for source 1
[IRQev] PPS clear at 615823591 on source #1
PPS event on source 1 at 1233330678.993769372
capture assert seq #76087 for source 1
[IRQev] PPS assert at 615823716 on source #1

the clear edge leads.  I can state that the scope trace was in the positive direction, and it looks to me like the clear edge leads.  I do not know if that makes sense.  Judging from your response, my thought that a falseticker is bad is correct.  I added the atom clock to an NTP configuration that was already working and that included five peers.  I saw that the atom clock was becoming a falseticker, so I stripped out the peers, deleted the drift file, and let ntpd run overnight.  I then reported the results to this list.