[LinuxPPS] Linux issues discussed earlier this year.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Jul 29 19:09:25 CEST 2009

Earlier this year at least two Linux issues were discussed that would
contribute to better timekeeping.

There was the definition of STA_NANO in timex.h
and the calculation of nanoseconds in some glibc routines.

This (and any other details) was discussed in a number of separate messages
on this forum.

Was it ever put together anywhere???
    I dont see it on our wiki.

My understanding of the situation is that the STA_NANO problem can be fixed
by just copying the timex.h from a current kernel into /usr/include/linux.

What about the glibc?  Does someone have an updated copy sitting out somewhere
that we can copy (I really dont want to get involved with git if I can help it)
and what about the kernel itself?  Does it have bad code?  I seem to recall
that for a while it calculated nanoseconds by multiplying microseconds by
1000.  sigh.

In any case, I would like to play with these changes, but would like to know
that I have everything that was discussed.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com