[LinuxPPS] Strange offset behavior

Andrew Hills ahills at ecs.umass.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:33:55 CEST 2009

> Are you using the convergence patch?

Not unless it was included in LinuxPPS 2.2.0. (I know, I know.)

> Did you build ntp so that it would be getting nanosecond times from the
> system?

I did not change anything specifically in the NTP build, so unless it
was set by default in ntp-4.2.3p12, no.

> What counter is being used on these system for time keeping (EI. tsc,
> HPET...)?

I'm not sure. How do I find out?

> What kernel version are you using?

2.6.17.6, unfortunately, in Fedora Core 5. If this convergence patch
really has such a great effect, then I will make it a priority to update
these old systems.

However, both systems are running the same kernel and NTP versions with
the same builds and patches. Why would one system show so much more
consistency?

--Andrew Hills