[LinuxPPS] unofficial Test patch for linux v2.6.30-rc6

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Wed May 20 16:51:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> William S. Brasher wrote:
> > The programs ppsldisc et al were compiled in the Document/pps directory
> (...)
> > The new, patched ntp-4.2.4p7 was also built with the new headers in place.
>
> Looks like you did the rigth things...
>
> > The first time I booted the new kernel and started ppsldisc I received that
> > warning in the logs.  I have rebooted  that machine since then and both pps
> > and ntp started on boot, and did not generate any warnings.
>
> Hmm. Maybe it is the similar thing to teh linux-kernel report that I posted.
> Rodolfo also wrote it doesn't look LinuxPPS related.
>
> > That is actually a lot better that previous versions of the patch:  for some
> > reason I've been unable to uncover, yet, ntp/pps tends to hang on my
> > machines and require manual operator intervention to get started.
>
> That is strange.
> What do you mean with 'hang'? Stops to respond completely?
> Or? What happens, what doesn't? When?
>
> Kind regards,
> Udo

The daemon (ntp) seems to start, but it won't accept any connections.
After booting a clock-box I have to log on, stop and restart ntp.  This
later, manual, start works, leaving nothing in the logs to explain why ntp
is not working.  I suspect ntp is trying to locate network interfaces, and
they haven't come up, yet, when ntp is getting started.  I use Via 533 Mhz
C3's for clocks, mostly, and udev takes a long time to report stuff like
an interface coming up.

Since ntp always starts manually, and I rarely shutdown or start a box
running pps, I've ignored the problem.

Of course, the fact that this has happened on boxes running linux 2.4
and ntp 4.2.4p6 - and I never had the problem in past years with ntp on
thoses boxes- really suggests ntp has a problem.