[LinuxPPS] unofficial Test patch for linux v2.6.30-rc6

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Wed May 20 21:56:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 May 2009 07:51:58 am William S. Brasher wrote:
> > >
> > > (...)

> > > Looks like you did the rigth things...

> > > Hmm. Maybe it is the similar thing to teh linux-kernel report that I
> > > posted. Rodolfo also wrote it doesn't look LinuxPPS related.

> > > That is strange.
> > > What do you mean with 'hang'? Stops to respond completely?
> > > Or? What happens, what doesn't? When?
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Udo
> >
> > The daemon (ntp) seems to start, but it won't accept any connections.
> > After booting a clock-box I have to log on, stop and restart ntp.  This
> > later, manual, start works, leaving nothing in the logs to explain why ntp
> > is not working.  I suspect ntp is trying to locate network interfaces, and
> > they haven't come up, yet, when ntp is getting started.  I use Via 533 Mhz
> > C3's for clocks, mostly, and udev takes a long time to report stuff like
> > an interface coming up.
> >
> > Since ntp always starts manually, and I rarely shutdown or start a box
> > running pps, I've ignored the problem.
> >
> > Of course, the fact that this has happened on boxes running linux 2.4
> > and ntp 4.2.4p6 - and I never had the problem in past years with ntp on
> > thoses boxes- really suggests ntp has a problem.
>
> This looks like the problem originally reported by Reg and later confirmed by
> others including myself.  The problem is that for some reason NTP either does
> not see the PPS pulses or it sees the PPS pulses for a few seconds an then
> loses it (the later appears to be more common).  This problem only happens the
> first time NTP is started after a reboot and it does not matter if that first
> startup happens as part of the boot process or long after the machine has been
> started (I tested this).  A restart of NTP almost always works.
>
> This does not have anything to do with network interfaces and I am fairly
> certain that it is not UDEV related.  Adding delays for UDEV in the startup
> scripts did not help.   I "fixed" this on my machine by creating a new init
> script (/etc/init.d/ntp-pps in my case) that sets up line discipline, then
> starts ntp, then waits a while, then stops ntp and then repeats the process.
> This works 98% of the time but it is for sure a hack and it is also something
> that should not need to be done.

Please note I am also running a 2.4 kernel - and am having a problem
similar to that which has been happening on the 2.6 kernels.  The 2.4
kernel is 2.4.33.3-NANO built September, 2006.  The pps kernel patch is
from Ulrich.Windl's PPSkit-2.1.7.  The ntp is either ntp-4.2.2 build in
2006 or ntp-4.2.4p4 built July 2008.

I do not know why I am having this problem with the 2.4 kernels- I have
run pps here for a long time, and do not remember having this problem.
The clocks (used) to just start and take care of them selves.

I also do not think the problem with starting ntp on 2.6 kernels is
related... unless the motherboard/hardware is at fault.  Except that the
same software used to work on the same hardware, and now it doesn't.

Right now, here, the current 2.6 kernel with the PPS patch, and latest ntp
with nmea patch, works very well.  Except for the warning the kernel
printed the first time I accessed the serial port, of course.