[LinuxPPS] NMEA Refclock in ntp-dev does not work

William S. Brasher billb958 at door.net
Sun Oct 18 10:48:13 CEST 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> On 2009-10-17 20:55, William S. Brasher wrote:
> > The problem with ntp-dev-4.2.5p233-RC happens with Linux 2.4 too.
>
> Dunno about 2.4.
> I only know that for 2.6 we need to patch ntpd and that patch is not in
> ntp-dev as was the goal of the bug report.

Linux 2.4 with the PPSkit has been around a while, is stable, and works
quite well with ntp-4.2.4 with out any nmea patch.  That ntp-dev-4.2.5
does not work suggests that the problems we are having with it and linux
2.6.31 might be present even if the nmea patch were installed.

I suspect any breakage in the way the development ntpd handles pps would
mask anything done in the nmea patch.  That is, ntpd itself has broken the
pps api.

There is a new development ntpd out that I haven't had a chance to test to
see if problems are still present.

I am curious, though:  where in ntp-dev would you find the "common PPSAPI
code" that replaces the stuff that used to be in refclock_nmea.c?