[LinuxPPS] ntp-dev-4.2.5p237-RC does sync with PPS for me

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Wed Oct 28 10:37:37 CET 2009

The patch I received from Rodolfo solves the problem I was having with
having set ASSERT, and receiving both ASSERT and CLEAR events.

I have noticed two other small problems that do not affect the
running of ntp with the ONCORE driver.

---

If one process has set some options with time_pps_setparams, and then
another process tries to change them, this does not seem to work.
I would expect that if ntp sets (only) ASSERT, and then ppsapitest
sets both ASSERT and CLEAR, that BOTH programs should be seeing
BOTH ASSERT and CLEAR events.

In fact they BOTH see the ASSERT events that ntp set (first).
Its as if this stuff is set once, and never changed.

For practical purposes, this is not a problem, just something I see
when running ntp, and trying to run my ppsapitest program.

---

A second problem is that when I do a getcap in a first process, I see 1133,
fine.
I set the mode 1003 with setparams.
and a getparams returns 0x33.

HOWEVER, if I do a setparam of 1011 in ntp (first process)
and then do a setparam of 1003 in ppsapitest (second process)
I see a getparams of 1111.

Now two things, first I would expect to see the 0x1000 bit set in the
first getparams.

And more important I never set the 0x30 bits, so they should be off.

On the 2nd processes getparams I have set ASSERT/CLEAR (0x3) but dont
see it, and the offset bit is again on.

Bottom line, something is wrong here.

---

Neither of these affects the running of ntpd with the ONCORE driver,
but they are both nits that should be fixed.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com