[LinuxPPS] 2.6.31 up and running, now what?

time berta.com time at berta.com
Wed Sep 16 18:43:28 CEST 2009

Hello gang,

been mostly monitoring the situation on the LinuxPPS front lately, but since
we now have part of the code in the officially released 2.6.31 kernel, I thought
I would spend some time and try to see what's new.

For starters, the fact that the git repository does not work is not
helping... I was
then forced to use the latest patch in order to generate the userland
tools source
files, as the Documentation/pps directory in the released kernel feels
quite empty...

While I have no problem to load the pps_core module, with dmesg showing that the

ppsldisc barfs on me saying "ioctl(TIOCSETD): Invalid argument" and ldattach,
recompiled from the util-linux-ng-2.16.1 package, also barfs on me with a
"ldattach: cannot set line discipline: Invalid argument"

I had  to fiddle somehow with the links to the include files, but they
seem to be
allright now, and compiling gives no errors.

I understand that Rodolfo is busy, but I was wondering if anybody has given the
new kernel a try, and if so, with what results.  Seems to me like we made a
step forward and two back... :-(

Ciao, Luca