[LinuxPPS] ntpd synchronization issues

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 19:37:25 CEST 2010

On Sunday 08 August 2010 09:55:08 am Felix Joussein wrote:
>   Hi Udo,
> What kernel version?
>
> Current Stable (2.6.34)
>
> What ntpd version?
>
> The source, which is shipped with Ubuntu 10.04 which is 4.2.4p6.
> I build the source using: --enable-all-clocks --enable-ATOM
> --enable-parse-clocks --enable-accurate-adjtime --with-crypto
>
> What refclock?
>
> here's my ntp.conf:
>
> # refclocks
> server 217.19.37.20 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
> server 217.19.37.26 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
> server 217.19.37.27 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
>
> # PPS0
> server 127.127.22.0 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
> fudge  127.127.22.0 stratum 0 refid ATOM flag3 1
>
> # PPS1
> server 127.127.22.1 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
> fudge  127.127.22.1 stratum 0 refid ATOM flag3 1
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> keysdir /etc/ntp
> crypto randfile /var/lib/ntp/.rnd
> crypto pw leapsecreet
>

> Any patches for kernel or ntpd?
>
> Kernel: No
> ntpd: probably the Ubuntu patches
>

> But: I have had the same problem over the last year with kernel versions
> prior to 2.6.34 and ntpd source from ntpd.org
> So far I used this hardware:  Intel Atom N330, N270, N510, IC2, AMD X2,
> AMD Geode, VIA Eden
>
> regards,
>
> Felix

I am running AMD X2 hardware with an ASUS motherboard.  My system would sync
the time fairly quickly with kernels before 2.6.28 then it started syncing
very slowly.  Some patches to the kernel where posted here that fixed this
problem and these became part of the main line kernel starting with 2.6.30 (I
think).  I am now running un-patched gentoo-sources 2.6.34 which I upgrade
from 2.6.28 and it syncs quickly and is down below 5 us offsets in perhaps 15
minutes give or take.

The 2.6.34 kernel did introduce another timekeeping related issue for me
however.  Starting with 2.6.32 the kernel was changed so that it requires a
new kernel module to do hardware monitoring on some motherboards including
mine.  Because of this I should now be using the ATK0110 module to get
hardware readings using the ACPI interface (rather than lm_sensors directly
poking the sensor hardware).  Without this module lm_sensors no longer works
fully (no motherboard temperatures, voltages or fan speeds).  But with the
ATK0110 module loaded ntp does not sync and time keeping is horrific.  I have
opened a bug report on kernel.org about this but so far nothing has happened.
Currently I do not have lm_sensors working fully on my machine.  My point is
that how the kernel is configured and what modules you load can have a huge
impact on time keeping and the ATK0110 module on MY HARDWARE is an example of
this.  But it is also one I discovered by dumb luck and if I hadn't first had
time keeping working nicely with 2.6.34 initially and then tried to fix the new
lm_sensors problem I would not have known the cause of the timekeeping
problem.  But it is clear that at least on some hardware the kernel ACPI
modules can cause timekeeping issues and there may be other modules that
impact timekeeping as well.