[LinuxPPS] synchronizing Ubuntu 10.10

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 14 17:34:21 CET 2010

On 2010-12-14 17:08, Markus Laner wrote:
> Am 2010-12-14 15:09, schrieb Udo van den Heuvel:
>> On 2010-12-14 14:40, Markus Laner wrote:
>>> but I experienced two problems:
>>>    - finding ntp-4.2.6p2 patches
>> For what refclock?
> I tried nmea, and atom, both didn't work.

The nmea refclock needed patches in the past (see the wiki), but
shouldn't nowadays.

>>   Why that version?
> it is the current ntp production release

OK. Should have no problems.

>>>    - speeding up convergence to UTC at startup
>> That depended on kernel version in the past, perhaps also HZ is a
>> factor...
> NTP needs approx 3h to converge to UTC (say within +-100us uncertainty),
(....)
> My aim is to accurately timestamp network traffic.

I have a Garmin GPS-18 here on 2.6.35.8-ts15. (kernel.org plus Alex's
patches for hardpps)
ntp 4.2.6.p1, only recompiled to get hardpps working. No NMEA refclock
patch, just less clocks enabled.

So what did you test and what were the results with e.g. ktimer and ppstest?

Kind regards,
Udo