[LinuxPPS] Ultimate time server

Gerhard Bertelsmann info at gerhard-bertelsmann.de
Wed Dec 29 11:52:21 CET 2010

I am reading your interesting discussion about a precise time server. Poul
Henning-Kamp
from the FreeBSD universe has done some interesting work using hardware
time stamping
- see link below:

http://phk.freebsd.dk/soekris/pps/

The AMD Elan SC520 CPU has a kind of one-shot counter with a resolution of
33Mhz/4
which could time stamp external events with a resolution of 120ns to get
rid off interrupt
latency/jitter. Poul has also used counters build on FPGAs on standard PCs
an achieved
amazing results. IMHO that is the way some of you try to archive high
accurate time servers.

The Elan CPU is a little bit outdated nowadays. But there are new
interesting ones:
PowerPC derivates
Xscale (ARM)
and Marvell Kirkwood (88F6281 ARM)
Especially the last one is IMHO the most interesting one. It can do IEEE
1588 and PTP external
events time stamping (e.g. GPS PPS) with a resolution of 8 ns. Andy
o'Brien has done
some interesting investigation. He was so kind to share his code. Please
have a look at:

http://lnxpps.de/openrd_utils.tar

The hardware used is OpenRD. Im trying to do this on a cheap Seagate
Dockstar which
is based on the same CPU. There are a lot of other boards, e.g.
SheevaPlug, QNAP TS-119, ...

The code is not ready to use, but it should be a very good starting point
especially gpio9_irq_test.c.

Somebody interested in making a PPS driver ?

Regards

Gerd