[LinuxPPS] New ldisc implementation

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Sun Feb 14 08:29:33 CET 2010

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > attached you can find the new ldisc implementation as suggested by
> > Alan Cox.
> >
> > Can you please test it and report results to this list __and__ to me
> > in Cc? After your reports, if everyhting goes well, I'm going to
> > resubmit these modifications to the LKML for kernel inclusion.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Rodolfo
> >
> > --
> >
> > GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail: giometti at enneenne.com
> > Linux Device Driver                          giometti at linux.it
> > Embedded Systems                     phone:  +39 349 2432127
> > UNIX programming                     skype:  rodolfo.giometti
> > Freelance ICT Italia - Consulente ICT Italia - www.consulenti-ict.it
> >

> The patch applied cleanly for me to linux-2.6.32 with the patch
> ntp-pps-v2.6.32-rc8.diff already applied.
>
> I built and installed this kernel on both 32- and 64- bit machines, and it
> seems to work as well as kernels without the new_pps_ldisc.patch.
>
> The new patch seems to work with no problems.

I can agree with the above.
Having applied the patch on top of ntp-pps-v2.6.32-rc8.diff, the
revised kernels are running fine on 32 and 64bit Fedora11.

The 32bit compile was clean, the 64bit compile produced the
following warning messages:

drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c: In function 'pps_tty_dcd_change':
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c:32: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c: In function 'pps_tty_open':
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c:79: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c:84: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c: In function 'pps_tty_close':
drivers/pps/clients/pps-ldisc.c:95: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

Its probably worthwhile trying to fix these before submitting the patch.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com