[LinuxPPS] Usability of current status + TTYUSB

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 20 17:16:34 CET 2010

On 2010-01-20 09:42, Felix Joussein wrote:
> can anyone tell me, how the current code (in the kernel) can be used now
> to create a
> nano-pps enabled ntpd server?

Add the patch from the site.
Build
voila!

> It's not done by checking the PPS to M | Y in the kernel config.
> What about the userland tools (ppsldisc or ldattach), that existed when
> the code was not in the kernel yet?

They are in the additional patch.

> What to do after compiling the kernel?

Build ntpd with the wiki as guide.

> The wiki seams not to  be up to date, as it still describes kernel
> patching etc...

Yes.
Stuff has changed, but not so much.
Kernel patching is still required.
Completing the kernel patch is taking more time than expected.

> An other thing that has come up is the fact that many state of the art
> low-energy PCs like the new Foxconn N270 (11Watt, 14Watt burst) do not
> have a serial or parallel port.
> Unfortunately those interface types are totally out-fashioned.
> Did anyone think about using USB?

Yes. Might not be so accurate as timing device due to variable delays.
But could work.
Still an interesting experiment.

Udo