[LinuxPPS] time_pps_kcbind return EOPNOTSUPP

Marc Leclerc marc_x at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 4 16:34:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

Could I request some help in getting the time_pps_kcbind working on my
project. I have not a lot of linux experience and am finding myself not
knowing where to start. To make thing a little complicated I am working
on an embedded device doing cross compiling and definitely do not want
to mess my kernel at this point of the project. My target is ARM Linux
kernel 2.6.28.10.

I have managed some time ago to merge the LinuxPPS patch and am trying
to get good time accuracy using a GPS and the PPS. I have looked at
Alexander files and copied the linuxpps.h file but after some digging I
found a patch listing on the mailing list which seem to implement other
required functions, structures, etc.

I would really like to know all the steps required to get this working
as I seem to find missing parts as I had one.

Also, could anyone explain how should I adjust the time from the GPS,
Obviously overwriting the time every seconds when reading the GPS would
go against using the PPS. I have tried to make sense of what NTP does
but must admit I am a little lost here and since the only time source
for my device is the GPS, I must make use of what I have. All the code
to read the GPS time, Set the time (not adjust) from it is done and
working, So seem that the kernel has support to slew the time, how can
that be done with time reported in YYYY-MM-DD HH-mm-SS format working
along with what the PPS will be doing when bind to the kernel stuff.

Best regards
Marc