[LinuxPPS] time compensation

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Sun Jun 6 19:06:49 CEST 2010

Sorry I disagree completely, but I think subsequent posts have shown
that 'coax' delay is not significant in the scheme of things.
 If you are actually using a remote antenna the GPS unit will work out
where it is based on delays from satellites. Forget about time for now,
but the position will move depending on coaxial delays. Only after it
has done this does it work out the time - correcting for the delays it
has seen (including the coax). So the coax will have no effect on the
time to a first approximation
 Well actually things are not quite so simple because the position
algorithm assumed passage of the radio signal directly from the
satellite, and if your cable goes straight up and the satellite is on
the horizon.... But it is certainly not going to generate a delay of the
velocity factor of the coax multiplied by the length multiplied by c as
has been stated here. In fact it could be an advance, simply because the
position is not exact.
 Of course a GPS18LVC is not an antenna - it is a receiver. So now it
works out it's position correctly and there is a delay in the cable
sending the PPS signal. Unfortunately this cable is neither coax or a
twisted pair, so the only way of working out the delay is by
experimentation.