[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS/Funtoo (Gentoo derivative)

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Wed Mar 17 10:40:23 CET 2010

Hal V. Engel wrote:

> Gentoo user here.  I am using util-linux-9999.  At one point I tried the
> "stable" version and it didn't work.  So I install the development version and
> all is well.  Should be the same for funtoo I think.
>
> Hal

I can't get -9999 to compile due to some files missing in the git at
present.  I'm looking at the issue now, probably an autoconf borkage.
In the interim, I've attempted to complile 2.17.1, the latest release of
util-linux-ng, and I'm still getting the same error.  The only previous
mention of this error is LinuxPPS related, and can be found here.
http://ml.enneenne.com/pipermail/linuxpps/2009-September/003266.html

A check of the ldattach manpage shows it should support both 'PPS' and
'18' as a valid ldisc.

The debug output from ldattach is as follows:
time util-linux-ng-2.17.1 # ldattach -d 18 /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:opened /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:set to raw 0 ---: cflag=0x8bc
ldattach: cannot set line discipline: Invalid argument
time util-linux-ng-2.17.1 # ldattach -d PPS /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:opened /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:set to raw 0 ---: cflag=0x8bc
ldattach: cannot set line discipline: Invalid argumenttime

Here we also specify a line speed of 4800 (NEMA standard)

util-linux-ng-2.17.1 # ldattach -s 4800 -d PPS /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:opened /dev/ttyS0
ldattach:set to raw 4800 ---: cflag=0x8bc
ldattach: cannot set line discipline: Invalid argument

Andrew