[LinuxPPS] fast synchronization (2)

Remco dB besten at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:57:09 CEST 2010

A few days ago I posted this:
>Alexander Gordeev wrote on April 29th:
>>Well, testers are always welcome :) I'd really like to know that this
>>whole thing works on any hardware.
>>Please try my patches with CONFIG_NO_HZ enabled and then disabled. In
>>the first test the clock should sync to a 1us precision in a couple of
>>seconds and maintain it. In the second test... you'll see... it should
>>be much worse.

>After I had 2.6.34 + PPS running, I recompiled my 2.6.34 kernel with
>CONFIG_NO_HZ set, and found no significant difference in speed concerning
>converging towards +/- 2us.

Although there was no significant improvement in synchronisation speed, it
occurs to me that the stability of the lock is improved. I.e. the temperature
dependancy seems less. Whether this is the result of
a) linux-2.6.34 and/or b) CONFIG_NO_HZ, I don't know.
My LinuxPPS system remains within the +/- 5 us limit when not loaded heavily
(like compiling kernels ;-), see remco dot org slash ntp

Remco