[LinuxPPS] NMEA and NTP

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Mon May 31 21:00:08 CEST 2010

So some odd issues.

Lets start with a new one. I had both the NMEA with PPS and an external
peer. As ntp started both were present in the peers list from ntpq. The
offset was huge (this is a newly setup system) Then the GPS peers
disappeared, only to reappear once the time had stepped to within 10mS
or so. As though ntp believes another server (at about stratum 3) but
not the NMEA when the offset is large.  With earlier experiments the
time just will not step from a large offset using NMEA alone. Now it
seems happier and is using the PPS so advertises itself as a Stratum 0
Has anybody locked to the NMEA alone using the latest ntp?

I still don't understand the DNS not working for ntp

The drift file is still not being written to. I really don't understand
this at all.