[LinuxPPS] testing PPS with ktimer

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Tue Nov 9 18:23:47 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 16:56 UTC, Hal V. Engel <hvengel at gmail.com> wrote:
> You also need another time source so that ntp can figure out what the current
> second is.  This can be another ntp server or other supported time source that
> allow ntp to resolve the time close enough to resolve an unambitious second.

I believe you also need to designate the source(s) to use to "number
the second" by adding the "prefer" keyword to the server line(s).
Only one "prefer"erred source is needed, but when using network
"prefer peers", you should have several to ensure one of them is among
the survivors at all times.  See
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver22.html

> I use this when I boot over to Windows since the Windows version of ntp does
> not directly support the OnCore GPS I use only it's PPS and then external ntp
> server to resolve the second.  This takes a lot longer to sync than using the
> OnCore natively (on Linux) but it works.

Actually the Windows port of ntpd does now include the OnCore driver.
I can't guarantee it will work for you, but I'd be happy to help
straighten out any remaining problems.  I am not aware of anyone using
it with Windows yet, but the code has been enabled since:

(4.2.5p181) 2009/06/06 Released by Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
* Enable ONCORE, ARCRON refclocks on Windows (untested)

Cheers,
Dave Hart