[LinuxPPS] ntp: add hardpps implementation (2)

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 14 18:44:59 CEST 2010

On 2010-10-12 17:06, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Well, my graphs show more reported stability with hardpps:
>
> See the relative swings since enabling hardpps get smaller:
> http://pindarots.xs4all.nl/mrtg/ntppll.html
>
> Also see http://pindarots.xs4all.nl/mrtg/ntpstat.html to show timing
> stats improve.
>
> So what is the consensus?
> Is this improvement? Reporting that is 'off'?
> Please explain.

On #ntp I got, about the mrtg graphs:

hardpps (which is FLL a poll 0) is able to correct large frequency or
offset step in few tens of seconds, on 5 minute average it won't be
noticeable

and:

FLL handles frequency and offset steps much better, so if the fix is
lost frequently, it may work better

Do you agree?

I'll be away for a few days.

Udo