[LinuxPPS] FW: Linux PPS with Garmin 18xLVC using 2.6.35.7 linux Kernel

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 21:08:21 CEST 2010

On Thursday, October 28, 2010 09:13:10 am Kent Headley wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Venu,
>
> The GPS has only RS232 output, which is connected to a Keyspan 19-HS
> USB-serial converter.

I am not sure that this is supported.  Why not just use a serial port?

> The Keyspan nominally behaves as a full 9-pin serial port.
> For example, statserial can detect changes in the handshaking lines on
> /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
> The PPS signal is connected to Keyspan serial pin 1 (DCD).
> So both the NMEA and PPS signals are passed to the PC via the Keyspan
> (/dev/ttyUSB0).
>
> Is it OK for the NMEA and PPS signals to arrive on the same serial
> connector? I have seen this at various sites on the web (PPS wired to DCD),
> so figured it¹s OK.

PPS and the GPS data stream can either be connected to the same device or to
separate devices.   This is why ntp needs two device sym links since these are
logically separated even if they are on the same port.

> With your uBlox GPS, what pin was the PPS signal attached to?
>
> The comments about sym links for gps0 and gpspps0 are interesting; is that
> required by NTP, or does linuxPPS need these links also?

NTP only and the logical device created by the sym link is specific to the
clock driver and how it is configured.

> I just tried creating the links you suggested, exactly as you recommend,
> but also with
>
>     ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/gps0
>     ln ­s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/gpspps0
> instead of
>     ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/gps0
>     ln ­s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/gpspps0
>
> since my PPS is arriving via /dev/ttyUSB0 (on my system, ttyS0 doesn¹t seem
> to have an actual UART associated with it).
> However, neither of these seems to have the desired effect.
>
> Do you know if any special permissions for /dev/ttyUSB0 (currently
> /dev/ttyUSB0 system has ³rw-rw---- root dialout² ).
>
> Thanks again!

Since I don't use a serial to USB device I have no idea how this should be
configured or even if it can be made to work.  But you can separate the PPS
output and route it to either a serial port or parallel port.  Do you have a
parallel port on your machine?

Also have you checked to see what kind of stuff is happening on /dev/ttyUSB0?
Can you see the NMEA messages?