[LinuxPPS] Fwd: Re: [LInuxPPS] Oncore error message on Ubuntu 11.04

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 01:59:17 CEST 2011

Subject: Re: [LInuxPPS] Oncore error message on Ubuntu 11.04
Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 04:43:12 PM
From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel at gmail.com>
To: linuxpps at ml.enneenne.com

On Monday, July 11, 2011 02:21:39 PM reg at dwf.com wrote:
> Sorry I cant be specific, but I haven't rebuilt my kernel under Linux since
> 2.6.32.9 (or possibly 2.6.35).
>
> But, looking at my code in the ONCORE driver, I have made several calls
> to ntpd at this point, so it would seem that you have the appropriate
> interface in the kernel.

Yes the kernel appears to be OK as the PPS is working.  In addition, I had all
of the symlinks in place before starting ntp.

> However, this is the first time that I try to
> WRITE to the kernel.

I get the feeling that it is some kind of permissions issue.  I also had
permsission issues on Ubuntu with the serial and PPS devices that needed to be
sorted out.

> Now that never made any difference in the past, but it seems to now.
> I would try running the following piece of code (which is equivalent to
> someting in the linuxPPS library), It needs the arguments
>
>       ppsapitest8 ttyS0 pps0
>
> where the device ttyS0 may be different on your OS,

Next time I boot over to Ubuntu I will test this.  But after having installed
Ubuntu I can't say that I like it too much.  Mostly a lot of little things
that I don't like rather than anything big.  But I will see if I can sort out
this issue before I remove Ubuntu from my machine.  That way it can be
documented.

I am running the same kernel verison, 2.6.38-6, on my gentoo box and
everything works just like it should so it is not something specific to the
kernel version.

Hal