[LinuxPPS] PPS via FTDI 232 doesn't work, many questions

Hal V. Engel hvengel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 20:40:14 CET 2011

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 03:59:35 PM Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Ben Adler
>
> <adler at informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> > Hello list!

snip

> >  - How long should that pulse be? Is the answer a function of the
> > port's baudrate? Can the pulse be too long?
>
> The pulse cannot really be too long.  The minimum required pulse
> depends on the hardware you are using; you will need to read the FTDI
> documentation. One of the reasons is that some hardware is polled (in
> which case the minimum duration has some relation to the bitrate
> clock) while other hardware uses a different detection scheme and can
> detect pulses as short as a few ns.  In all hardware I had worked
> with, the duration of the GPS PPS signal is sufficient.

Most timing GPS's use a 200ms pulse that goes high at the epoch (IE. it is low
for about 800ms before the epoch).  Hardware that is interupt driven (IE. not
polled hardware) like a real UART will work correctly with much shorter
pulses.  LinuxPPS is really designed with interupt driven hardware in mind.
Most of us using it expect to achive microsecond accuracy and this requires
that the PPS pulse be hooked up to a device that responds to interupts.

> >  - Is the "kernel consumer" the same as "hardpps"? From what I
> > understand, hardpps directly adjusts the clock in kernel-space, whereas
> > using /sys/class/pps/pps0/{assert,clear} means that I'd need a running
> > ntp-server to interpret these files and work the clock. Is that right?
>
> Using NTP is the best way to discipline your system clock.

You need NTP in both cases.  The kernel comsumer works with NTP and is
dependant on the NTP supplied clock drivers.  With hardpps (IE. the kernel
consumer) NTP lets the kernel handle some of the functionality since it is
closer to the hardware.