[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS for Raspberry Pi?

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 02:17:03 CET 2013

I've just acquired a Raspberry Pi (RPI), and have attached a Garmin
GPS18x-LVC (FW 3.80) to the serial port and the PPS output to GPIO4 (via
an inverting level converter).  It's a nice package, except for not
having a local clock).

I have successfully configured ntpd (4.2.6p5) to see it as a NEMA clock
(right now it's noselect while I measure the serial data offset).

      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay offset
jitter
  127.127.20.1    .GPS.            0 l   55   64  377    0.000 -682.66
5.112

For the next step, PPS - some questions:

1. Has anyone tread this road already?  I've seen several
inquiries/aborted attempts on the web, but no successes.

2. The RPI kernel is Debian based.  It has sysfs gpio support
(/sys/class/gpio), and from the shell, I can see the pin toggling if I
export the pin.

      How do I tell if the kernel has PPS support compiled-in?

3. Do I need compiled-in kernel support, or can PPS just be modprobed
in?  (It looks like compiling the kernel on RPI is a major undertaking
- http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation.)  If the latter, how do I
build the modules?

4. What's the minimal support that we could try to get the RPI
developers to include in the distributed kernel to enable PPS, or at
least make it less of a project to build?

I'd have to native (on the RPI) build anything for this project ('disk'
is a 16GB SD flash card), so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.