[LinuxPPS] Stanalone PPS

Patrick patrick.pub at nerim.net
Thu Jun 6 12:18:30 CEST 2013

I am trying to setup a stratum 1 NTPD using PPS. My goal is to set up all
the internal machines to the same time with a high precision. But the
precision time of the set can be a couple of seconds.

I built an electronic board with an OCXO that generate pulses every second.
This solution has been chosen for availably and low installation/wiring
reasons.

During the boot I perform an ntptime -p 8 <... .ntp.org> and an ldattach on
the serial device (which makes the modprobe pps-ldisc )
The configuration looks like

server 127.127.1.0 perfer

server 127.127.22.0

While checking with ntpq -c peer -c as -c rl I can see after 10 minutes, the
pps is rejected. I can partially fix that by adding a tos mindist 15.00

The problem looks like to be here:
My board sends a pulse with a phase between 0 and 0.99999 seconds. It is
stable and depends on the power up. GPSes send pulses at the beginning of
seconds.
Then there is a conflict between the two clocks.
By moving the prefer to the PPS or even removing the internal clock, the
system does not work at all

I think what I need is a prefer_at_initialisation rather than prefer.

Some ideas?

Thanks