[LinuxPPS] how to troubleshoot the pps module?

Reid Oda reid.oda at gmail.com
Fri May 8 21:40:00 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I'm a semi-beginner with linux and pps-tools. I have successfully run
the pps module on my system (Raspberry Pi 2, Raspbian latest).
However, I want to use a realtime kernel, and the module does not seem
to properly setup the pps files when using the rt kernel. I'd like
some advice on how to debug this problem. Here is some info:

lsmod | grep -i pps:

Module        Size      Used by
pps_gpio     2524     0
pps_core     6782     1 pps_gpio

dmesg | grep -i pps:

[    9.028404] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    9.035014] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007
Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at linux.it>

There is no pps directory in /sys/devices/virtual
There is no pps0 file in /dev