[LinuxPPS] PPS echo implementation

tom burkart tom at aussec.com
Mon Sep 17 11:32:23 CEST 2018

Quoting Rodolfo Giometti <giometti at enneenne.com>:

> If you want a patch against Raspberry Pi kernel you should send that
> patch to Raspberry Pi kernel's maintainers and not to me. I'm a
> vanilla kernel maintainer and I apply patches to vanilla kernel only.

I felt that the patch may be of wider interest, hence I came here, but
I also intended to help in testing.

> However, you can add extra Raspberry Pi kernel information to our
> new LinuxPPS's wiki! :-)

Sounds like a fair deal ;-)
Do I send it to you directly?  What format does it need to be in?

>>> I think we can safely drop property "enable-pps-echo" and
>>> considering the EHO functionality activated if property
>>> "echo-gpios" is present.
>>
>> I elected to provide this functionality as I felt it conceivable
>> that someone might want the PPS signal but does not want or require
>> the ECHO functionality.
>
> If I well understand this patch when "enable-pps-echo" is enabled
> you do a devm_request_threaded_irq(), which in turn calls
> pps_gpio_irq_threaded() which requires a GPIO line to work...

Oh, yes, of course.  Sorry, I misunderstood the first time around.

Then, if I patch the pps-gpio.dts file directly (as requested), then
there will always be  an "echo-gpios" present, which then implies that
the ECHO functionality is always enabled.  Will this be an issue?  Or
is that why we supply the dts file?

Kind regards,

Tom Burkart
Consultant

AUSSEC Mob: 04 1768 2202 Fax: 02 9526 1230
30 Waterside Crs, Carramar NSW 2163