[LinuxPPS] Linux PPS Synchronization

Chang, Benjamin Benjamin.Chang at gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 19 21:28:12 CET 2020

I am using an NTP server (syncserver S650) and its PPS to sync my system to. I have it setup in chrony like the following:
Server ###.###.#.### minpoll -6 maxpoll -6  //# is the IP values
Refclock PPS /dev/pps2 poll 0 width 0.00002 trust prefer

I am getting where ppstest and ppswatch work, but when I call chronyc sources, the LastRX goes up to the 20s. Shouldn't LastRx stay around 0-2 (since it should be taking the PPS every second). I added an offset of 20us because that seemed to be the difference between the NTP and PPS, but even then, it will go up to the 20s for LastRx

Does anyone have any idea why my linux system isn't syncing to the PPS? Documentation says it should be. I did see a thread in February 2019 that was similar but didn't seem to reach resolution.

Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Benjamin Chang
Research Engineer I
Test System Branch of the Electronic Systems Division
of the Georgia Tech Research Institute
(GTRI/ELSYS/TSB)
Email: benjamin.chang at gtri.gatech.edu<mailto:benjamin.chang at gtri.gatech.edu>
Office Tel: 404-407-7674