[LinuxPPS] ntpd

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Thu Aug 3 11:17:55 CEST 2006

> > BTW: I was looking at the time_pps_findpath function but do not yet
> > really understand it. There is a PPS device defined like "/dev/ttyS2" or
> > similar but where does that info enter the code? What does the function
> > look for to know what port/device I want ntpd to use as a timesource?
> The time_pps_findpath() can be use to say to the NTPD daemon which is
> the PPS source you wish to use. Example (maybe it can help Folkert :),
> I have a GPS antenna connected to ttyS1, if the NTPD uses:
>    fd = time_pps_findsource(-1, path, 40, id, 40);
> the system will return the _first_ available PPS source (due "-1") so,
> using 8250 client, it is ttyS0! This because the client defines a PPS
> source for _each_ serial line in the system (it cannot know which
> serial line the user will use for his/her GPS antenna).

In addition to my last e-mail: I hardcoded a '1' in place of the current
'-1'. ntpd now says:
refclock: found PPS source #1 "/dev/ttyS1" on "pps_8250_1"

But still ppstest doesn't emit anything at all.

Folkert van Heusden

--
www.vanheusden.com/recoverdm/ - got an unreadable cd with scratches?
                            recoverdm might help you recovering data