[LinuxPPS] ntpd

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at linux.it
Thu Aug 3 11:31:14 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:17:55AM +0200, Folkert van Heusden wrote:

> In addition to my last e-mail: I hardcoded a '1' in place of the current
> '-1'. ntpd now says:
> refclock: found PPS source #1 "/dev/ttyS1" on "pps_8250_1"

Ok, now the NTPD are using the right PPS source.

> But still ppstest doesn't emit anything at all.

At this point you shouldn't use ppstest since you are using NTPD which
does the same things. ppstest has been written for very basic tests.

I suggest you to enable CONFIG_PPS_DEBUG kernel option and looking the
kernel messages _while_ NTPD is running.

If the PPS signal reach your DCD pin you should see something like
this:

   serial8250: PPS assert event at xxxxxx

or

   serial8250: PPS clear event at xxxxxx

otherwise you should use an oscilloscope to verify if the PPS signal
is reaching the serial port.

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127