[LinuxPPS] linux sub-microsecond time code, was Re: new code

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Fri Jul 21 21:54:02 CEST 2006

In message <44C0DD0E.1030804 at xs4all.nl> you write:

>> http://lwn.net/Articles/189547/

>Would those changes give us opportunities w.r.t. the ntpd/kernel
>interaction?

Yes, this recent post talking about 2.6.18-rc:

http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115282855017014&w=2

Says that the time code for x86 will be sub-microsecond functionality.
Very impressive!

I am tempted to try this out here. Maybe...

>Would they require a recompile to be active? (new functions, headers, etc)

When the kernel "fills in the blanks" in the structures, rather
than having zeros in the smallest bits, there should now be
meaningful resolution. I believe that existing ntpd code should
"just work" (I'm an optomist heh).

../Steven