[LinuxPPS] Regarding RFC2783 modifications

Rodolfo Giometti giometti at enneenne.com
Wed Nov 22 17:04:36 CET 2006

Hello,

I'd like submit my LinuxPPS implementation to Linux main tree but
before I have to fix some issues about RFC specifications.

The RFC 2783 says that «pps_handle_t type is an opaque scalar type
used to represent a PPS source within the API» but in my
implementation I intentionally want to separate the concept of file
descriptor to the concept of the PPS source since some devices do not
have such association (some devices are directly connected to a
dedicated interrupt line for example), and to support this I need a
struct as "pps_handle_t".

If the GPS receiver is connected to a serial line then everything
works well but, if this is not true, we have no "filedes" to pass to
the function time_pps_create(). That's why I also added a new function
time_pps_findsource() in order to find a generic PPS source (note that
this function is protected by the PPS_HAVE_FINDSOURCE define).

So, my opinion is that RFC 2783 should say that «pps_handle_t type is
an opaque __variable__ used to represent a PPS source within the API»
and programs should not access to it directly due its opacity.

I'd like to know if this is the right place to discuss about this
topic or if I should post my message elsewhere.

Thanks,

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127