[LinuxPPS] linuxpps and parallel report

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Fri Jan 12 17:25:27 CET 2007

Hello and Greetings (waves)

I've installed the 2.6.19p4-g5f1bb8aa linuxpps kernel here, and
patched ntp-4.2.2 with linuxpps support for nmea/atom with the
following results:

     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
+GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   18   64  377    0.000   -0.007   0.002
oPPS(2)          .PPS.            0 l   11   16  377    0.000   -0.002   0.002

The PPS signal is derived from the GPS unit and fed into the
parallel port. My particular installation has inverted the
parallel PPS signal, so there was a 100 millisecond offset
(the pulse width of the GPS I have), so I used "fudge time1 0.1"
and end up with the billboard as shown above.

I will next deliberately court "interrupt collision" by inverting
the TTL PPS signal, so that I can see what the linux kernel
will do when delivering the internal signals (by request).

So far the only problem is that I tried the atom "fudge flag2 1"
(to use the opposite edge of the TTL signal)
and got a kernel error logged (line split for clarity):

Jan 11 22:27:28 wraith ntpd[2289]:
    refclock_atom: time_pps_setparams failed: Invalid argument

So far (8 hours operation) it looks very nice!

../Steven