[LinuxPPS] LinuxPPS

Bernhard Schiffner bernhard at schiffner-limbach.de
Wed Jun 27 08:18:30 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 26. Juni 2007 18:07 schrieb Jonathan Norris:
> I would like to preface my email by saying I am fairly new to Linux.
After 9 years: I'am still new ;-)

> have been given the task of synchronizing  some radar systems with a gps
> device.   At the radar site we currently have a linux setup running SUSE
> 10 with kernel 2.6.16.21  There is also a GPS that I can connect this
> Linux box to via DB-9, with that stated here is my question.   Is there
> a version of LinuxPPS that I can use with my current kernel?  And if not
> what do I need to do use the latest version of LinuxPPS?
Have a look into the wiki:
http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/LinuxPPS_support
(be aware that is work in progress)
1.) you need a patched kernel,
2.) you'll need a patched ntpd,

> Thanks,
>  Jonathan Norris
>  jon_norris24 at yahoo.com

Some hints:
If you are new to linux it will be better to start your "2. live" with a
separated system. For testing linuxpps every hardware is enough.

Keep care to have the right specifications, what to do, to test, to
confirm!
Try to use NTP over network first to have a idea of performances and
problems. Polish this in a second step with PPS (only). Run network-ntp
and full GPS+PPS in a 3rd step for comaparisation.  Use pure GPS+PPS later
on.

Most (bigger) radar is synchronized carefully with other transmitters and
receivers, to obtain maximum accuracy and to do some jokes (SAR, ...).
So it's better to use (tap) the systems own "time".

Keep in mind that GPS may fail at receivers side.

Good luck!
Bernhard

PS: Are you allowed to proceed some details?