[LinuxPPS] Kernel configuration and more ......

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Sat Nov 3 15:01:07 CET 2007

Thanks for the encouragement, I think if anything some of the things
which to most of the mailing list seem pretty obvious need to be
simplified for a new user. I will try to start work as soon as possible.

Before that I have a couple of queries.
1. As you know I have been puzzled by the behaviour of
the /sys/class/pps/pps0{assert,clear}. I assumed that I would see events
immediately after ./ppsctl /dev/tty0 enable, but I have been told that I
have to have these ports opened by something, and I used minicom to do
this. I then tried to use NTP (with the ATOM clock). No events were
seen. So then I did cat /dev/ttyS0& (and left the process in the
background) and then NTP saw the events and the PPS started to be used
(but see below). Why? Why doesn't NTP open the port itself?

2. When the PPS events were not being seen, the stratum for the PPS was
0, but obviously no connection was ever made. The NTP locked to the web
disambiguating clocks at stratum 2. But when NTP made contact with the
PPS the stratum of the PPS changed to 2. Obviously I can try forcing the
stratum in the ntp.conf file, but why do I need to do this?

Paul